Thursday, March 29, 2007

Crystal Liechty, The First Year--post 4


Well, I finished it. I had to. (Actually, it kind of bugs me when I get to the point in a story where I can't put the book down, because that means I'm useless until I finish.)

I'm impressed with many aspects of this book. It's fun, yet serious issues are confronted. One thing that stood out to me was how dysfunctional Beth's childhood situation was, yet it's all a "given" throughout the book. She doesn't consider herself particularly different from any other Latter-day Saint just because she didn't grow up in a happy happy "Love At Home" family with roses blooming beneath their feet. This is just how she is. Given the varieties of family situations in the Church and in the world today, I'm sure many readers will find this view refreshing.

Some "straight and narrow"-type readers may not appreciate this hilarious depiction of adjusting to marriage. If you're looking for traditional romance, this isn't it. If you're looking for a spiritual uplifting story about how marriage in the temple will conquer all of life's problems, you won't find that here, either. But I sure recognized myself in this one. All those first-year-of-marriage memories came flooding back as I read--those negotiations of what kind of cereal we would buy, what our roles were in our new family, ground rules for marital squabbles...it was all so familiar, and still so funny.

The First Year is published by Bonneville Books, 2006.

6 comments:

Julie Wright said...

fun review, great book. Thanks Katie!

C.J. said...

this will be a great fun blog to read. thanks for starting it--Crystal's book sounds great.

Tristi Pinkston said...

I agree with your review, Katie. This book definitely broke all my expectations but replaced them with something so much more substantial.

Annette Lyon said...

Loved the review--all four sections of it. Everything I've heard about this book has been great, but this just moved the book up several slots on my "to read" list. Crystal definitely has a great sense of humor, and everything you've said has already brought back memories of my first year of marriage.

Anonymous said...

Love your take on The First Year, Katie! You are very astute- you picked up on things I didn't even realize I'd put in there. Thanks for taking the time to review my book.

Katie Parker said...

Thanks for chiming in, Crystal! Don't you love how everyone gets something different out of a good book?

Did I mention you did a really good job on it??